Friday, October 02, 2009

~ Just a little venting ~

Is anyone else upset about Roman Polanski?

To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know who this man was until this extradition matter came up and his crimes were made so public again after a 30 year lapse. This crime was horrible … see below -

“On March 10, 1977, then 44, he had taken Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old child model, to the home of Jack Nicholson in Mulholland, California, where he said he was going to take photographs of her for the French edition of Vogue. After taking the photos, he gave Gailey champagne and a sedative and performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her while she said: "No, I don't want to do this." The original charges against Polanski were "rape by use of drugs, sodomy, and a lewd and lascivious act with a child under the age of 14". As part of a plea bargain Polanski got it reduced to "sexual intercourse with a minor". (copied)

Over 138 people in the film industry have signed a petition against the arrest; citing the crime was so long ago, he has been through so much, etc. (FYI, he survived communist Poland, his mother died in a concentration camp, his wife Sharon Tate was murdered by the Charles Manson cult). Wow, that is a lot to live through and I hate that he did, but I’m sorry, since when does going through a lot pardon you from doing a crime as horrendous as above outlined? Whoopi Goldberg on The View kept saying, he wasn’t charged with “rape” just [did you get the “just”] sexual intercourse with a minor, uh wrong Whoopi, that is just was he and his lawyers plea bargained this heinous crime down to. Whoopi let me down, as did Debra Winger, Natalie Portman, and so many others. What a sad world we live in today. I usually live inside my safe little bubble and don’t let the big outside world make me so upset, but this story just pierced my bubble a little bit.

I was 13 once, I can’t imagine the horror of this crime; I have a daughter who was 13 once, I cringe even writing it.

One thought that keeps coming to me, is, how many other times did he do this and get away with it? Can you be a child molestor only once? Someone that powerful and well funded? It makes me sad for the other unknown victims.

Sorry, I am venting. This is upsetting and I guess I needed something to think about to get my mind off of my Dad for just a little while.

Saw this in one of the articles: “Fugitive. Child. Rapist. Just keep saying it until it sinks in. I'll wait.” (copied)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I completely agree with you on this. I remember either reading about this guy or seeing something about it on TV some time ago and got so mad that he just up and went abroad to escape having to pay for his crime. What a coward. I hope he gets what's coming to him in the end. And oh, I don't give a CRAP what he's been through (I'm saying that to whoever said it, not you). You don't put someone else through something traumatizing just because you yourself have been traumatized. I have so much hatred towards people that molest children because I have two myself and I am very protective of them. Letting people get away with it is just horrific and unforgivable. It makes me sick that celebrities are actually signing a petition to excuse this guy from his crime!